Sunday, March 6, 2011

"You said you have speech problem, but you sounded just fine!"

I guess that's what some of you were thinking when you did read my previous post and watched my vlog.
The reason why I sounded 'okay' in my vlog (atleast some of you think so) is because it was taken from 5 different video shots.
Truth is, there were many silent gaps in between and well...mumblings!



And some people who know me in person said:
It's my accent la = = It changes with the people who I talk to as well as the things that surround me. 
This is one of things I never thought I am capable of.  

Actually that has always been included in one of the Bruneian list:
4) You know you are a Bruneian if:
You speak Malaysia if you meet Malaysian, speak Indonesia if you meet Indonesian.. and so on.
I was always marked as a 'non-typical Bruneian' by my friends because I don't/can't do what most Brunei people do.
So changing the accent easily is one of the things I could not do
 = =  I actually speak Bru-lish (Brunei English) to my Malaysian friends lol. 
Mm...........I think I should include this too

You know you are a Bruneian if:
You sound very American when you are a fluent English speaker. 
(even though our school teach British English, we grow up watching American TV programme) 


This doesn't apply to me btw╭(⫪∀⫪;)╮
But half of my friends were thought they came from America when they speak to the people here in uk.

Like I said, I'm not good at catching accents. 
But then again
 surprise-surprise
I actually can! (eventhough it takes a longggggg time)
I didn't notice it at all until my friends pointed it out, 
especially when I talk to Jeri. 

Also, some of my course mates thought I was brought up in Scotland because of the way I speak to them - But that only happened when I spent a few days with them lol. 

When I go back to my Bruneian friends, everything switched off, 
and even if I tried too, I sounded so fake. 
One other thing I realised about me is that - no british/scottish accent can come out when atleast one close friend (usually asian) is with me. Lol, okay why am I even telling you all this, such useless detail 
I made the vlog just when I came back from Uni when some bits were still left on.
 I'm saying all this to clarify everything, 
see how paranoid I am now? :/ 

But other than that,
 I guess I learned something about me that I never knew,
 I can now proudly tick myself into one of the Bruneian list :P (the accent changing bit) 
But wait, does it still apply since Im a slow-catcher? 

 ✼✼   ✼✼   ✼✼   ✼✼   ✼✼   ✼✼   ✼✼   ✼✼ 

Before I end this post,
I would like to thank Mizarwen for making this beautiful scrap layout that includes a photo of me in it (together with Aznuur and Esma). 
;D I LOVE!!