Thursday, June 23, 2011

FILM SHOOT: Q4JC – Man with the Deadly Stool

Last Sat and Sun was utterly hectic with two full day shoot on the project in continuation of the “Quest for Jackie Chan!”. This week we are joined by Andy Minh Trieu a.k.a “Minja” as the character “Yuen Biao” / “Brown Ninja”. This short dream sequence follows geek girl Maria Tran across Carramar. She is stopped by the antagonist that erupts into a chase across Cabramatta CBD and the iconic vast greenlands of Western Sydney.

I’m pleased to welcome on board lil David Minh Nguyen and his talents as fast-pace DOP/ Camera guy, Mehran Rows as camera support as well as a bunch of familiar faces.

Another big learning curve for me as this time I was faced with guerrilla and uncontrollable sets of Cabramatta CBD where we would draw much attention of weekend onlookers who would inch their way on camera in the foreground and smiling cheesily, or end up calling the shots of the set.

We did have fun, with other camera toys that David Minh Nguyen brought on board, such as the fisheye lense, Vanna Seang’s camera jib, my Dad’s homemade dolly, ladders, D.I.Y props and costumes and of course, the wig.

Some fun experiments that worked included that exploding sugar cane cup, and comic drinking competitions in front of the Cabra’s notorious hot bread shop.

Don’t forget the baby powder that was worked into the shoots by Marie Setiawan and Thuy Ng (sometimes a little too much).

Team work was definitely needed for the operation of the camera jib that gave beautiful shots of the organic settings and the throws of buckets of dried leaves into the scene makes the scene look epic. To me, this was all D.I.Y kind of business. Lol!

Shout out the the dedicated team I have on board! I’m so grateful to have a growing core of people heading in the synergistic direction. Film all the way!

Updates: The next shoot may so happen to be in the next two weeks. I’m going to take my time, learn the gear and aim to deliver quirky content rather than quantity.